Your participation with Cigna Behavioral Health helps us fulfill our mission to improve the health, well-being, and sense of security for the people we serve. Our network providers must treat all Cigna Behavioral Health customers equally and must agree to participate at all service locations (i.e., participation is not limited to specific Tax ID Numbers).
Minimum Credentialing Requirements
All providers must meet the following minimum credentialing requirements to participate:
- A license to practice independently (without supervision) in the state in which you are providing services;
- Professional liability insurance with minimum limits of:
- $1 million/$3 million for Physicians and Psychiatric Nurses with prescriptive authority, or
- $1 million/$1 million for all other providers; exceptions include:
- Texas: the minimum recommended amount of professional liability coverage for providers in Texas is $200,000 per occurrence and $500,000 aggregate;
- Florida: the minimum recommended amount of professional liability coverage for providers in Florida is $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 aggregate;
- providers in states which regulate a patient compensation fund for insurance coverage, or which regulate the amount of insurance a provider must carry, should meet at least the state's requirement if they do not meet Cigna Behavioral Health's minimum requirements.
Providers with federal tort coverage (Federal Tort Coverage Act) do not have to meet Cigna Behavioral Health's minimum insurance requirements. For those providers, a copy of the federal tort letter or an attestation from the provider stating that he or she has federal tort coverage must be included in the credentialing file.
How to join the Cigna Behavioral Health network
Individual practitioners (including new providers affiliated with contracted clinics and facilities)
- Complete the Cigna Behavioral Provider Information Form.
- Cigna Behavioral Health will respond by email within 20 business days after reviewing your form.
- The email will be sent to the email address that you list in the "Contracting/Credentialing" field under the Professional Contact Information section.
Individual practitioners providing behavioral services at Cigna-participating medical practices
If you are providing behavioral services at a Cigna-participating medical practice and are not accepting direct referrals from the community, call 1.800.88.Cigna (1.800.882.4462) to apply to the practice’s medical contract.
If you are providing behavioral health services at a Cigna-participating medical practice and are accepting direct referrals from the community, AND/OR you provide behavioral health services outside of the medical practice (e.g. in your own private practice), please apply to join the Cigna Behavioral Network by submitting the Cigna Behavioral Provider Information Form.
If you practice in Maryland, Ohio or Washington:
The Cigna Behavioral Provider Information Form is not required for practitioners who provide services in the states of Maryland, Ohio or Washington. Email us at BehavioralHCPEnrollment@Cigna.com with your request to participate and include the following information for identification purposes. You will receive a response within 15 business days.
- First and last name
- Middle initial
- CAQH ID# (accepted, but not required for Washington)
- Tax Identification Number (TIN)
- National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- License type (LCSW, LPC, LMFT, MD, LP, etc.)
- Primary mailing address
- Service location(s)
- Phone number (for contracting/credentialing purposes)
If you practice in Minnesota, North Dakota or western Wisconsin:
In these markets, Cigna's Behavioral Health network represents an alliance between Cigna and HealthPartners. For contract consideration, complete the HealthPartners Behavioral Health Contract Application available at the HealthPartners Provider portal.
If you practice in Missouri:
For status updates about the credentialing process, email BehavioralContracting@Cigna.com and include the health care professional's name and TIN.
- Clinics are groups of behavioral health providers who share the same TIN, location, and administrative staff.
- Complete the Cigna Screening Application for Behavioral Health Clinics
- Cigna Behavioral Health will respond by email within 20 business days after reviewing your application
- Our response will be sent to the email address that you list in the "Primary Clinic Contracting Contact"
- Autism clinics are groups of autism providers who share the same TIN, location, and administrative staff.
- Complete the Cigna Screening Application for Autism Clinics
- Cigna Behavioral Health will respond by email within 20 days after reviewing your application
- Our response will be sent to the email address that you list in the "Primary clinic contracting contact"
If you represent a facility that is not currently in our network, call Provider Services at 1.800.926.2273. Please note the Cigna Behavioral Health Provider Application cannot be used by facilities seeking to join the network.