Cigna HealthCare Coverage Policies are tools to assist in interpreting standard health coverage plan provisions. Select one of the links below to access Cigna’s medical or pharmacy (drugs & biologics) coverage policies.
Browse Coverage Policies
Medical and Administrative A-Z Index
Here you can search alphabetically or by a CPT/HCPCS code for a Cigna coverage positions.View Documents
Medical and Administrative Categories
Here you can browse within categories for a Cigna coverage position.View Documents
Pharmacy (Drugs & Biologics) A-Z Index
Here you can search alphabetically for a drug name to see Cigna’s pharmacy coverage position.View Documents
We routinely review our coverage positions and reimbursement and administrative polices for potential updates. Review a summary of upcoming policy changes.View Documents
In certain markets, Cigna delegates utilization management of specific services, including chiropractic care, physical and occupational therapy and advanced radiology services. In these situations, delegated vendor guidelines may be used to support medical necessity and other coverage determinations.
- eviCore Guidelines (High Tech Imaging, Radiation Therapy, and Musculoskeletal Services)
- ASH - American Specialty Health (Therapy & Related Services)
- Cigna Connecticut Guidelines
- The terms of an individual's particular coverage plan document [Group Service Agreement (GSA), Evidence of Coverage, Certificate of Coverage, Summary Plan Description (SPD) or similar plan document] may differ significantly from the standard coverage plans upon which these coverage policies are based. If these Coverage Policies are inconsistent with the terms of the individual's specific coverage plan, then the terms of the individual's specific coverage plan always control.
- Coverage determinations in each specific instance require consideration of:
- the terms of the applicable coverage plan document in effect on the date of service
- any applicable laws/regulations
- any relevant collateral source materials, including coverage policies
- the specific facts of the particular situation
- Medical technology is continuously evolving; our coverage policies are subject to change without prior notice. Additional coverage policies may be developed as needed or may be withdrawn from use. Additionally, some coverage plans administered by Cigna HealthCare, such as certain self-funded employer plans or governmental plans, may not use Cigna HealthCare coverage policies. Doctors and individuals should contact their Cigna HealthCare representative for specific coverage information.
- Cigna also uses other tools developed by third parties to assist in interpreting health coverage plan provisions, including MCG™ Care Guidelines (Copyright © 2017 MCG Health, LLC), 20th Edition, 2017.