Cigna Coronavirus (COVID-19) Interim Billing Guidance for Providers for Commercial Customers
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread throughout the United States, we appreciate that providers across the country are on the front line to offer dedicated care to our customers and help protect local communities.
We also know it’s more important than ever for Cigna to be committed to our customers’ health and make it as easy as possible for you to focus on delivering safe, efficient, and quality care.
To honor this commitment, Cigna recently announced that we will:
- Waive customer cost-sharing related to COVID-19 screening, testing and treatment through May 31, 2020
- The treatments that Cigna will cover for COVID-19 are those covered under Medicare or other applicable state regulations. We will reimburse health care providers at Cigna's in-network rates or Medicare rates, as applicable. This policy applies to customers in the United States who are covered under Cigna's employer/union sponsored insured group health plans, insured plans for US based globally mobile individuals, Medicare Advantage and Individual and Family Plans (IFP). Cigna will also administer the waiver to self-insured group health plans and the company encourages widespread participation, although these plans will have an opportunity to opt-out of the waiver option.
- Waive customer cost-sharing for telehealth screenings for COVID-19 through May 31, 2020
- Make it easier for customers to be treated virtually for routine medical examinations by providers
- Provide free home delivery of up to 90-day supplies for Rx maintenance medications available through the Express Scripts Pharmacy and 24/7 access to pharmacists
- Make it easier for hospitals to transfer patients to long term acute care hospitals (LTACHs), skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), and acute rehabilitation facilities (AR) to help manage the demands of increasingly high volumes of COVID-19 patients
- Support Cigna doctors and nurse practitioners who wish to support their medical communities
- Support customers with a free, interactive, COVID-19 risk assessment tool
To further this commitment, we are providing this COVID-19 billing and reimbursement guidance to help ensure you can keep delivering the care you need to – in the office, at a facility, or virtually – all while getting properly reimbursed for the services you provide our customers.
Please note that we continue to proactively gather answers to key questions you may have, and will update information on this page as soon as it is available.