Cigna Coronavirus (COVID-19) Interim Billing Guidance for Providers for Commercial Customers
Updated August 27, 2020 - Highlighted text indicates updates
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, we appreciate that providers across the country are on the front line to offer dedicated care to our customers and help protect local communities.
We also know it's more important than ever for Cigna to be committed to our customers' health and make it as easy as possible for you to focus on delivering safe, efficient, and quality care.
To honor this commitment, Cigna announced that we will:
- Waive customer cost-sharing related to COVID-19 screening, testing and treatment
- Waive customer cost-sharing for telehealth screenings for COVID-19
- Make it easier for customers to be treated virtually for routine medical examinations by providers
- Provide free home delivery of up to 90-day supplies for Rx maintenance medications available through the Express Scripts Pharmacy and 24/7 access to pharmacists
- Make it easier for hospitals to transfer patients to long term acute care hospitals (LTACHs), skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), and acute rehabilitation facilities (AR) to help manage the demands of increasingly high volumes of COVID-19 patients
- Support Cigna doctors and nurse practitioners who wish to support their medical communities
- Support customers with a free, interactive, COVID-19 risk assessment tool
As federal guidelines continue to evolve in support of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have extended customer cost-share waivers and other administrative benefits through at least October 31, 2020. We have also extended our interim virtual care and eConsult guidelines through at least December 31, 2020.
To further our commitment to providers, we are providing this COVID-19 billing and reimbursement guidance for commercial Cigna customers* to help ensure you can keep delivering the care you need to - in the office, at a facility, or virtually - all while getting properly reimbursed for the services you provide our customers.
Please note that we continue to proactively gather answers to key questions you may have, and will update information on this page as it is available.
* The guidelines on this page also apply to customers with Individual and Family Plans (IFP). Additionally, on June 1, 2020, Cigna announced that Cigna Medicare Advantage and Cigna Individual and Family Plan (IFP) plans will waive customer cost-share for certain non-COVID-19 services. Cigna Medicare Advantage is extending all cost-share waivers, including those noted for non-COVID related services, through the end of 2020, while Cigna IFP will extend these non-COVID-19 cost-share waivers through October 31, 2020.
Please note that all other commercial plans (i.e., employer-sponsored plans) continue to have customer cost share for non-COVID-19 services, and cost-share waivers for COVID-19 services are currently scheduled to end at the end on October 31, 2020.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resource Center
Resources to support
your mental health
Live-guided relaxation by telephone
- Available for all providers at no cost
- Every Tuesday at 5:00pm ET
- Call 866.205.5379, enter passcode 113 29 178, and then press #
Pre-recorded wellness podcasts
Additional emotional support resources